Pages


Tuesday

Hair Today ... Gone Tomorrow

So the topic of curly hair came up at work the other day.  Yes, I have a real job though sitting here behind my computer writing about makeup, skin care, and perfume completes me!  Anyhew, the question came up about curly hair and whether or not people find it attractive.  When I was younger I absolutely hated my naturally curly locks.  I would have given anything to make my curls go AWAY!  I remember bringing my hair stylist pictures of girls with straight hair and wanting mine to look like theirs.  Unfortunately, the Brazilian Blow Out was not invented back then.  I learned to live with my curly locks and eventually learned to love and work with them and not against them. Today I embrace my curly locks and think of it as something that makes me ... me! 


I have been asked quite a bit about the products that I use for my hair.  I have to say that my hair is very dry, coarse, and if this makes any sense, the top has a life of its own!  I have been using the same styling products for a few years now.  They discontinued one of the products that I was absolutely in love with, and re-packaged the other.  I keep it simple and with my hair LESS is definitely more.  I also wash my hair everyday, which I know is a big no-no in the hair world, especially for curly locks. 

Here are the products that I use - I start with Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Shampoo.  After I shampoo with the Matrix I use a conditioner called Terax.  I have a ton of hair and this conditioner lasts me a long time.  I love the way this conditioner makes my hair look and feel.  While I am in the shower I brush this through my hair.  This is the one and only time my hair and a brush ever come in contact.  Once my shower is over I immediately put in one and a half pumps of my TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier.  This is my holy grail product to make my curls look alive.  Immediately after applying the curl cream, I spray a bit of the It's A 10 Conditioner in my hair.  I then place all of my hair on top of my head in a clip.  I put my makeup on which usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes.  I then take my blow dryer with a diffuser and blow dry my hair until it is completely dry.  One tip is to try NEVER to touch your curls with your hands.  This will cause the hair to frizz and the curls to separate.  After I am finished I put it in my clip, to calm down the top, and then spray it with my holy grail Paul Mitchell Super Clean Spray.  




As I said above I have learned make my curls work for me not against. One thing that I do change often is shampoo.  I also color my own hair every 4 weeks like clock work.  So these are the products that I absolutely love for my curly locks.  If anyone has any recommendations please comment below.  I am going to try and add one more product to my curly hair routine.  Patrick Wellington owner of the Wellington Hair Spa in NYC  http://www.wellingtonhairspa.blogspot.com/  recommends in his blog using Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum to tame frizz and fly aways.  I actually met Patrick on Twitter and have been talking to him. reading his blog, and following his work.  I hope to make an appointment with him sometime in November when I go to NYC.  I would love for him to get his hands on my curls! I am hoping he can solve my problem of wearing a clip on the top of my head to tame the sides of my hair.  I have so much hair and I really don't know what to do with it.  I can do almost anything with makeup, but hair ummmmm not so much.  My hair right now is super long and I have been toying with the idea of cutting it.  I have to admit I would never cut it really short just because that just isn't me.  I am hoping if I take the trip to meet the hair master he can work his magic! 

In the case of finding a way to keep my curls at bay - This case is SOLVED

Detective Kathy

All of the products that I have listed above can be found at Ulta.  Also if you search this blog there are a few photos of me so you can see my curly hair, and my clip on the top of my hair as well!

2 comments:

Sammie said...

I absolutely LOVE Paul Mitchell skinny serum. It smooths out frizz on my semi-wavy hair. I have no idea how it works on curly hair, but try it. Ultra carries it in a small size as well as the larger sizes. Buy the small one to try

The Makeup Detective said...

Hi Sammie! I remember using it years ago and really liking it. I am thinking that if I put a little of that in with my curl cream it might do the trick. Don't you just love Ulta? : ) xoxoxo